Website Shawanaga First Nation
Position: Special Education Teacher
Maternity Leave Position (School year Sept. 2020 to June 2021 – with possibility of extension)
Date Posted: June 1, 2020
Under the direction of the Band Administrator, along with the Education Administration, The Special Education Teacher normally will withdraw and work with students either individually or in small groups in an individual work area. The Special Education Teacher is to work closely with the classroom teachers to ensure that student’s academic and social needs are being met. This position is at the Kinomaugewgamik Elementary School located on the Shawanaga First Nation reserve.
- Deliver individualized programming based on student needs with focusing on Self-regulation, Literacy & Numeracy) in accordance with the Ontario Teaching curriculum
- Providing Special Education services to students one to one out of classroom; as well as work in classrooms as required
- Providing Special Education support to teaching staff
- Communicate regularly and work with school Paraprofessionals: Speech-Language Pathologist; Occupational Therapists and others in coordinating student learning programs
- Assist teachers with writing and developing I.E.P.’s and I.P.R.C.’s when required
- Work as a team member to provide a relevant and meaningful education
- Work under the direction of the Education Administration
- Follow the procedures and policy of Shawanaga First Nation
- Sensitivity and inclusion of First Nation Culture and Issues
- Experience working with First Nations students Page 2 of 2
- Promote the teachings of the 7 Grandfathers • Ability to problem-solve and have excellent interpersonal and computer skills • Able to work with minimum supervision • Must work well with children and staff • All duties as related to teaching
- Attend staff meetings and professional activity days
- Be a positive role model.
- Current Ontario Teacher’s Certificate (OCT) in good standing • B.A and B.ED and Special Education AQ (Prefer Special Education Part 3 – S.E.R.T.)
- Valid driver’s license • Provide a current C.P.I.C. (Police Check Vulnerable Sector) • CPR and First Aide training a definite asset • Three References and letter of permission to contact those references to be included
Closing date: Friday, July 17th, 2020 @ 1:00 pm
Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted, thank you for your interest.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three (3) recent work-related reference letters with the current contact information via email only to:
Administration, Manager, Education Department
Shawanaga First Nation
Work Mobile: 705-774-8943
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.